Daily Archives: April 8, 2015

The United States led all other donors according to preliminary 2014 estimates

Today the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Development Assistance Committee (DAC) released preliminary 2014 net Official Development Assistance (ODA) estimates. The data again shows that the United States led all other donors according to preliminary 2014 estimates, with $32.73 billion in net assistance, another record level. The United States provided $27.02 billion in bilateral aid and $5.53 billion in core contributions to multilateral organizations supporting development, which is historically the highest level of any donor country. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and U.S. Department of Treasury together delivered 94 percent of total U.S. development assistance disbursements in 2014.

2014 ODA levels are preliminary estimates for the DAC Advance Questionnaire. Assistance data will be reconciled with U.S. Government agencies in the coming weeks for incomplete, missing, questionable or to-be-revised data and for conformance with DAC reporting directives. Final ODA levels for 2014 and prior years will change by September after consultations with implementing U.S. Government agencies and the DAC Secretariat.

U.S. 2014 Calendar Year Assistance Highlights:

• The United States again provided more aid than any other donor country in the world in the 2014

• U.S. aid over this period increased $1.23 billion to $32.73 billion from 2013 levels, a historic high for all donors.

• U.S. bilateral assistance to other countries was $27.02 billion in 2014, an increase of $820 million over 2013.

• U.S. contributions to multilateral organizations supporting development totaled $5.53 billion in 2014, an increase of $420 million over 2013.

• USAID and the U.S. Departments of State; Health and Human Services; and Treasury distributed 94 percent or $30.6 billion of 2014 aid.

Source: OECD

Rwandan genocide documents declassified by France on 21st anniversary of the conflict

Rwandan president Paul Kagame lights the Flame of Remembrance

France has declassified documents in the presidential archives relating to the 1994 Rwandan genocide, in which the capital Kigali accuses Paris of having an indirect role.

A decision to declassify the papers was signed on Tuesday and concerns “documents in the Elysee relating to Rwanda between 1990 and 1995”, spanning the genocide which claimed at least 800,000 lives, a source in president Francois Hollande’s entourage said.

“The president had announced a year ago that France must provide proof of transparency and facilitate remembrance of this period,” the source said.

The papers, which include documents from diplomatic and military advisers as well as minutes from ministerial and defence meetings, will be available to both researchers and victims’ associations, the French presidency said.

Ties between France and Rwanda are strained after Rwandan president Paul Kagame accused Paris of complicity in the genocide because of its support of the Hutu nationalist government that carried out the mass killings, mainly of ethnic Tutsis.

Paris has repeatedly denied the accusations and insists that French forces had worked to protect civilians. Relations between both countries were completely frozen from 2006 to 2009.

The genocide was sparked by the ouster of the country’s president, a Hutu.

Mr Kagame last year caused a stir by repeating his accusations against France before commemorations to mark the 20th anniversary of the genocide which ran from April to July 1994.

He notably said that France had not “done enough to save lives” and had not only been complicit but “an actor” in the massacre of Tutsis.

He also spoke of “the direct role of Belgium and France in the political preparation of the genocide, and the participation of the latter in its actual execution”.

Former French prime minister Alain Juppe, who was president Francois Mitterrand’s foreign minister at the time of the genocide, termed the accusations “intolerable” and urged Mr Hollande to “defend France’s honour”.

Stung by the repeated accusations, France cancelled plans for the justice minister to attend the 20th anniversary commemorations.

A French parliamentary inquiry set up to try to establish the truth about the French role declared “France was in no way implicated in the genocide against the Tutsis”.

But the two rapporteurs, one of whom was Bernard Cazeneuve, who is currently France’s interior minister, admitted the French authorities made “serious errors of judgement”.

The announcement of the declassification of the Rwanda papers came on the 21st anniversary of the outbreak of the genocide on April 7, 1994.

AFP